Put /usr on a different drive

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 13 23:55:36 UTC 2007

On 1/14/07, Daniel A. <ldrada at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of
> moving the entire /usr partition to a second hard disk, given that I
> am on an existing (newly installed) install of FreeBSD.

First, you need to copy all the stuff over. You can
use dump(8)/restore(8), or mount /usr read-only, new
/usr read-write (under a temporary mount point like
/mnt) and use tar(1), cpio(1L), or cp(1).

Then it's just a matter of unmounting /usr and
mounting your new device under this mount point.
Don't forget to edit the fstab(5) entry.

> Also, is it possible to specify something like this during the
> installation itself?

Just partition your second drive and define any
mount point on any of it's partitions - everything
will be fine.