Please Help! How to STOP them...

Jay Chandler chandler at chapman.edu
Fri Jan 12 23:53:09 UTC 2007

VeeJay wrote:
> I am reading many hundred lines similar to below mentioned?
>
> Could you please advise me what to do and how can I make my box more
> secure?
>
> Jan  9 17:54:42 localhost sshd[5130]: reverse mapping checking
> getaddrinfo
> for bbs-83-179.189.218.on-nets.com [218.189.179.83] failed - POSSIBLE
> BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!
> Jan  9 17:54:42 localhost sshd[5130]: Invalid user sysadmin from
> 218.189.179.83

VeeJay, you've asked several questions now to this list that are very
simple to solve with even a minimal amount of reading through Google.
Some people more generous than I have given you the answers, which are
are immediately met with further questions, most of which are answered
in the first part of the man page for the relevant program.

I, and I suspect other posters on this list, have little interest in
reading Unix for Dummies to you.  Technical questions about specific
failures are one thing, but you're asking things that are covered in any
decent Unix / FreeBSD book.  Heck, you can even get the FreeBSD Handbook
for free online.

Please, please, PLEASE RTFM.  If that's too much to ask, try taking a
class, hiring a consultant, or using a more user-friendly OS.

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University
714.628.7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
Today's Excuse: Incorrectly configured static routes on the corerouters.