How dangerous a Standard User could be to a FreeBSD box?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Jan 12 08:42:45 UTC 2007

James Long wrote:
 > Nathan Vidican wrote:
 > > Gotcha all beat, screw the 'standard user' issue... I had a client call
 > > me once cause the office cat peed onto/into the server; no technical
 > > expertise required whatsoever, no password, no re-wiring of network,
 > > heck no opposable digits even or anything else for that matter, yet it
 > > still managed to kill the server ;)
 >
 > Ah yes, the infamous cat(1) ppp(8) exploit.  Much harder to clean up
 > than cat(1) dump(8), too.
 >
 > Fortunately, the worst problem I've had with mine is occassional
 > race conditions with mouse(4).

You mean like this one?

http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/fun/cat_and_mouse.jpg

(cat(1) performing a DoS attack on mouse(4).)

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson