Laptop speaker vs earphone

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 12 01:49:14 UTC 2007

On 2007-01-11 00:29, "Lion G." <liontanker at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I have a weird question.
>
> In my previous many laptops, whenever I plug in the earphone, the
> laptop speaker would stop (and I would only hear music through the
> earphone)

Which is what *should* happen.  After all, when you plug headphones into
the proper jack, it's a sort of 'signal' that you want to hear something
without disturbing all the people around with it too :)

When I asked:

    "Is automute of headphone/speakers always handled by the snd_hda
    driver?"

Ariff explained why this happens to me by writing:

    "It all depends on the internal wiring, codecs, vendor preferences,
    etc, but mostly yes, it is handled by the driver itself: cheaper,
    flexible."

> With my newest laptop (Acer Aspire 5050), the laptop speaker stays on
> no-matter-what.  I would hear the same music in both the speaker and
> the earphone.
>
> I'm using Ariff Abdullah's snd_hda driver on 6.2-RC2.
> The driver reports:
> pcm0: <ATI SB450 High Definition Audio Controller> mem
> 0xc0000000-0xc0003fff irq 16 at device 20.2 on pci0
> pcm0: <HDA Codec: Realtek ALC883>
> pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20061210_0037>

Try contacting Ariff.  He is pretty responsive and he will most probably
reply with a patch that fixes the problem for you.  This is *exactly*
what happened when I asked him about my own laptop, a Toshiba Satellite
U200, which had the same 'bug'.

The fix for my laptop is now part of FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/hda/hdac.c?rev=1.21&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Before contacting Ariff, it will be helpful (and will save you at least
one round-trip of email exchanges), if you boot in ``verbose mode'', and
save a copy of ``/var/run/dmesg.boot''.

Then, make sure you include this file and the output of ``pciconf -lv''
in your report.

Good luck,
Giorgos