is THIS why the 6.2 release seems stalled ?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 08:38:01 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Bill-Schoolcraft <bill at wiliweld.com> wrote:
> At Thu, 11 Jan 2007 it looks like Nikolas Britton composed:
>
> > On 1/10/07, Jeff Mohler <speedtoys.racing at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I dunno..Linux got _somewhere_ before big money came into it.
> > >
> > > Like I said..when Fbsd 2.5 was light _years_ ahead of Linux..sometime
> > > after that, focus was lost.
> > >

> > USL v. BSDi happened.
>
> I'm not that informed historically and was glad to get this little
> tidbit a while ago when tracking down the history of Unix/Linux...
>
> http://wiliweld.com/history.jpg

The differences between the GPL and BSD licenses come into play as
well. I'm sure it was a combination of the lawsuit, license, and
marketing at the right moments that gave Linux the huge lead it has
now... and had nothing to do with it being better.

With all the code locked up in the GPL license today it will be
impossible for the BSD's to ever out code Linux... We lost this
battle... Guerrilla tactics are needed now, but the old crusties in
the group still think we have a chance using the antiquated ones.