Laptop speaker vs earphone

Lion G. liontanker at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 06:10:18 UTC 2007

Bob McIsaac wrote:
>A headphone plugged into a speaker line would blast
>your ears because of the extreme difference
>in sensitivity unless the jack switches in a series
>resistor to reduce the level.  If you notice poor low-freq
>response in your phones, that implies it is a line jack
>intended for an external speaker amplifier..

Unfortunately that was not the cause this time.

:(

I did see separate "line in" and "line out" symbols
on other plugs. The plug I was trying had a graphics of
a microphone on it, and SPDIF written next to it also.
(In any case, I did try putting earphone into
each plug, and none of it stopped the speaker)

I really appreciate the rapid response so far;
the user community of FreeBSD is truly awesome!