Problems using autoconf/automake

Rico Secada coolzone at io.dk
Wed Jan 10 09:27:08 UTC 2007

Hi

I am using autoconf/automake to try to build portable makefiles for some software I wrote. I am a newbie in makefiles.

If I don't add my man page, all works out fine. But as soon as I add my man page 2 problems arises.

1. I can't use make distcheck, I get the following error:

make: don't know how to make myprg.1. Stop
*** Error code 2

2. When I do "make", the man page gets installed in /usr/local/share/man/man1, and not in /usr/local/man/man1. How do I deal with this issue and at the same time maintain portability?

My Makefile.am looks like this:

bin_PROGRAMS = myprg
salahtime_SOURCES = myprg.hpp myprg.cpp
man_MANS = myprg.1