NMap in FreeBSD Problem ...

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Wed Jan 10 08:40:30 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 18:18, linux quest wrote:
> Thanks ... I think the 'rehash' command does help a bit... at least now,
> when I type 'nmap', I can see the help manual (before this, there was just
> error msg). However, now, when I type 'nmap 192.168.1.10', (where
> 192.168.1.10 is the PC that I wanted to scan) ... I got the message ...
>
> 'Limiting closed port RST response from 283 to 200 packets/sec'
This is not a message from nmap, but from FreeBSD. It means that the system is
sending more than 200 ICMP packets/per second. I reckon you see this line on
the machine you're scanning. Your scan will continue as normal but will be
slowed down by this cool safety feature of FreeBSD :). If you want to turn
this off set sysctl net.inet.icmp.icmplim_output=0.

Please keep in mind that a scan will take a long time to complete with nmap's
default options.

Hope this helps,
Pieter