/etc/make.conf CPUTYPE question (nacona vs. pentium4)

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Wed Jan 10 08:13:04 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 10:46, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write an appropriate CPUTYPE entry for
> /etc/make.conf for the following machine:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2799.95-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf41  Stepping = 1
>   Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,
>                       SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,
>                       DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>   Features2=0x441d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,<b14>>
>   Logical CPUs per core: 2
>
> I've read the appropriate sections in the make.conf(5)
> manpage, /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf and even
> /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk, but they don't really help.
>
> So far I've been using "CPUTYPE=pentium4", but I wonder
> if "nocona" would be better, however I'm not sure if my
> CPU above qualifies as a nocona one.  I think the main
> difference is that nocona supports SSE3, and SSE3 is
> indeed listed in the CPU features above, so ...

From what I found on the Internet it seems that "Nocona" is the name of the
first Xeon CPU that supports long mode (x86-64). Your CPU definately doesn't
support long mode, so nocona isn't "right". (S)SSE3 adds only a few
instructions but they are really useful (in my opinion).

GCC(1) suggests:
           prescott
               Improved version of Intel Pentium4 CPU with MMX, SSE, SSE2 and
               SSE3 instruction set support.

Cheers,
Pieter