fsck report after crash...

Beech Rintoul freebsd at alaskaparadise.com
Wed Jan 10 01:48:42 UTC 2007

> 2007/1/9, Beech Rintoul <freebsd at alaskaparadise.com>:
> > On Tuesday 09 January 2007 14:53, Agus wrote:
> > > Hi, all.....i suffer a blackout today when my freebsd was running, and
> >
> > when
> >
> > > i start up again i run fsck and it reports that 5 files
> >
> > areUNREF......this
> >
> > > happens during
> > > Phase 4 - Check Reference Count
> > >
> > > UNREF FILE I=94324 OWNER=mysql MODE=100600
> > > SIZE=0 MTIME=Jan 9 20:30 2007
> > > CLEAR? no
> > >
> > > and a few more with same owner and mode; the only thing that changes is
> >
> > the
> >
> > > I,(inode, i guess)....
> > >
> > > Is there a way to fix this?!?
> >
> > Boot into single-user and run "fsck -y".
> >
> Ok..done it.....now, can u explain me or point me a link to the why i have
> to doit in single mode and what this does??
> i've done it and now when i restart in normal mode i got the same UNREF
> erros plus some Phase 5 - Check Cyl Groups errors.
> FREE BLK COUNT WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> Salvage? no
>
> BLK MISSING IN BIT MAPS
> Salvage?no
>
> then i did a fsck in normal mode and this last errors disappear but still
> get the first ones....
>
> thanx.....

Running single user starts with the slices unmounted, that is the preferable
way to run fsck manually. If you are answering yes to those questions and it
doesn't fix things, could be your HD is failing. Search the mailing list and
Google. There was an extensive thread on a similar problem a couple of months
ago. I had a problem like yours a couple of years ago and ended up creating
new filesystems and restoring from backup. You may be able to mount read only
and salvage the data if you don't have backups. But, do a search first, this
comes up from time to time.

BTW, please don't top post.

Beech
Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com