Automatically get nameservers

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jan 9 15:57:49 UTC 2007

Peter Nyamukusa wrote:
 > Kirk Strauser wrote:
 > > George Vanev wrote:
 > > > I want Windows client machines, connected to the FreeBSD box
 > > > to get the nameservers automatically.
 > > > Can you tell me how this may be done?!
 > > > Regerds
 > >
 > > I think the best solution would be to configure the FreeBSD box as a
 > > caching nameserver, then point all your windows boxes to it.
 >
 > I think you will need to have DHCP running in your network as DHCP is the only
 > way to automatically get nameservers regardless of the OS you are using

No, you don't need DHCP in the case George described.
As Kirk explained you can simply set up a name server
on the FreeBSD machine (just one line in /etc/rc.conf),
then let the Windows machines use that name server.
No DHCP required at all.

Best regards
   Oliver

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout