Automatically get nameservers

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jan 9 14:43:15 UTC 2007

George Vanev wrote:
 > I have a FreeBSD 6.1 box for a gateway.
 > It connects to ISP via pppoe.
 > In /etc/ppp/ppp.conf i have this line:
 > enable dns
 > so I have the necessery nameserver-s in /etc/resolv.conf
 > So far, so good...
 > I want Windows client machines, connected to the FreeBSD box
 > to get the nameservers automatically.
 > Can you tell me how this may be done?!

There are several ways to do it.

Personally I have simply set up an own nameserver on the
FreeBSD machine (just named_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf)
and enabled "forward only" in /etc/namedb/named.conf.
Then I wrote a small /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup script that
writes the nameserver addresses into "forwarders" entries
in /etc/namedb/named.conf and restarts the named process
("/etc/rc.d/named restart").  That's it.

If your ISP's nameservers never change (mine never did),
you can probably also just hardcode them.  :-)

Another option, if you don't absolutely have to use your
ISP's nameservers for some reason, then you can also just
ignore them, i.e. letting your own nameserver resolve
everything itself, without forwarding.  (Of course that's
not possible if your ISP blocks port 53.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
        -- Tim Peters