Shell recommendations

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jan 9 10:08:53 UTC 2007

Dak Ghatikachalam <dghatikachalam at gmail.com> wrote:
 > I am using ksh93 shell as my login shell
 > each and everytime
 >
 > I do set -o vi
 >
 > and perform some commands
 >
 > it simply dumps ksh93.core
 >  file and crashed whole terminal session,

If you can't solve your problem otherwise, I recommend
you install zsh (also from /usr/ports), and then make a
symlink zsh -> ksh.  When zsh is invoked with the name
ksh, it emulates the behaviour of ksh.  I just tried it,
"set -o vi", and it seems to work perfectly well.

(zsh also has a lot of additional features, far beyond
what you can do with ksh.)

Best regards
   Oliver

Passwords are like underwear.  You don't share them,
you don't hang them on your monitor or under your keyboard,
you don't email them, or put them on a web site,
and you must change them very often.