unable to load kernel

Brian Levie brian at levie.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 16:15:09 UTC 2007

After installing FreeBSD 6.1, I get the error message ‘Unable to load
kernel’ and it goes to an OK prompt.  I suspect the problem is in the
geometry, when installing I get the message  ’Geometry of 238316/16/63
for ad0 is incorrect.  Using a more likely geometry’.   And appears to
use 14946/255/63.    However the BIOS shows 58853/16/255, but attempting
to use this produces the same error message.   The system has a 200Gb
hard disk, all but the last 1.5Gb is Windows XP, and it is the last
1.5Gb I have tried to install FreeBSD.  Any suggestions would be much
appreciated.

Brian Levie