Mail being sent from my domain...

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Sat Jan 6 03:45:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Rob W. wrote:

> Is it possible for people to send email out from my domain name and have
> fake users acting as comming from my network?

Yes, if you have defeated the security features of your mail server either
accidentally or on purpose, but that is not what is happening in this case.
There appears to be a recurrance (or mutation) of a virus we have seen
before.  The mail is not originating on your server.  Your domain is being
spoofed by the infected computer(s).  The forged mail probably would not
escape detection by a knowledgeable human, but it is good enough to fool
some autoresponders and mail tossers, which is why you get the bounces.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html