Best "Cheap" Wireless card for FreeBSD

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Fri Jan 5 21:22:16 UTC 2007

Me any mine have been having good luck with Atheros chipsets of late.
OfficeDepot (USA) has their own brand (of which I don't recall as my laptop
is at home, but starts with an "A"), PCMICA card was $35.  Have had dhcp
problems with the 'wi0' chipset when signal is poor (drops on/off
frequently).  Earlier posts led to a suspicion that replacing dhclient with
?dhcp3? from ports might solve the problem but was never tested.  The wi0
chipsets have definitely been around the longest, and used to give the most
detailed signal strength info with netstumbler on win2k.  I also saw some
techie site had Atheros cards with big amplifiers on them - up to 400mW, but
obviously, those were more in the $75 range than $35.

Steve

On 1/5/07, Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:

> What is the best wireless card, USB or other, that works under FreeBSD?
>
> --
> Chris Maness
> (909) 223-9179
> http://www.chrismaness.com