Newbie Lynx and Mozilla Firefox Questions

Andrew Gould andrewgould at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 20:27:15 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: linux quest <linuxquest7570 at yahoo.com>
To: FreeBSD-questions at FreeBSD.org
Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2007 10:22:25 AM
Subject: Newbie Lynx and Mozilla Firefox Questions

I have been searching for tutorials for browsing the Internet using Lynx, but can't seem to find one anywhere. There aren't any tutorial either in those Unix books that I bought. What command do I need to type to download Lynx and what command I need to type to run Lynx on FreeBSD?

Secondly, I try to run firefox by typing ...

# mozilla &

but ... it respond with error msg ... and yes I can connect to the Internet (I pinged google.com).

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Linux Quest
----------------------------------

(The beta version of the new Yahoo! Mail encourages people to reply at the top of the message; so please forgive the lack of symbols preceding lines of the original post.  I have sent them a friendly suggestion regarding this issue.)

To install Lynx, you can execute the following as root:

pkg_add -r lynx

but I prefer using the ports to get the SSL version:

cd /usr/ports/www/lynx-ssl/
make install clean

Then you can start lynx using:

lynx <url>

If you go to google.com and enter "lynx tutorial", you'll get a list of good resources for learning lynx.

The command "mozilla &" is used to start the mozilla browser, which is still available.  To start firefox, try "firefox &".

Best of luck,

Andrew