Clutz-Proof Logging

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Thu Jan 4 16:32:06 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Bill Moran <wmoran at collaborativefusion.com>

>Many shells keep a history as a matter of normal operation.  You might
>find that enough for you.  Personally, I use bash, and the command
>"history" brings the last 100 commands or so.

No, this isn't sufficient. The problems are:
1) occasionally the sysadmin people at the server farm do stuff
2) sometimes I edit files, and of course the shell doesn't record how
3) the shell history seems erratic! It remembers the session clearly, but if I reboot, for example, and look at the history, it's not what I would
 expect it to be.

TIA,
Stan
I am not certain if you are using X or console.

On X windows you can set the size of the history to your liking - I usually set to unlimited. Then, as frequently as one wishes, save the session to a log file. I have not found any problem with history not being the "history".

As far as file editing is concerned if the file is important to you then you might want to try saving a snapshot when you open the file and use a small script to both save the snapshot and do a diff report that stores the differences between the file when you opened it and when you saved it. opened. That way you always have as permanent a record as you wish to keep.

My 2 cents

David