Clutz-Proof Logging

Stan Halprin stanhalprin at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 07:14:52 PST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Bill Moran <wmoran at collaborativefusion.com>

>Many shells keep a history as a matter of normal operation.  You might
>find that enough for you.  Personally, I use bash, and the command
>"history" brings the last 100 commands or so.

No, this isn't sufficient. The problems are:
1) occasionally the sysadmin people at the server farm do stuff
2) sometimes I edit files, and of course the shell doesn't record how
3) the shell history seems erratic! It remembers the session clearly, but if I reboot, for example, and look at the history, it's not what I would
 expect it to be.

TIA,
Stan