FreeBSD Installer vs RedHat Linux Fedora Core Installer?

Robert C Wittig wittig.robert at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 4 03:55:34 PST 2007

Sunnz wrote:

> Perhaps the stability of FBSD has led to the infrequent use of the
> installer for (re)installation. Think about it: if you are using the
> installer frequent enough to worry about how it look like, what are
> you doing? Reinstalling your OS every several months?

Personally, I prefer the FreeBSD and OpenBSD installers to the more
GUI-type installers used by Microsoft.

Initially, I had to do some Googling, and studying up, to learn the
installation procedures, the various options available, which options
were best for which types of installs, etc.

After that was done, I had a nice little spiral notebook with a bunch of
hand-written notes, and a nice pile of URLs to refer to, as needed.

This is the UNIX way... once the OS is installed, one is still going to
still have to understand the ins and outs of the operating system, the
LAN, TCP/IP, etc., and learn enough about C/C++, shell scripting, and
correct syntax in general, to edit their config files in vi, and
understand the man pages.

Making the installer any 'easier' to use than the operating system
itself is to run and administer, seems pointless.

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.       http://robertwittig.net/