Stuck on win32-codecs compilation.

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Jan 4 03:50:40 PST 2007

"Juha Saarinen" <juhasaarinen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/4/07, Dak Ghatikachalam <dghatikachalam at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Freebsd
> >
> > I was trying to make  mplayer and  it spat me on error,  win32 -codecs,
> > and went on trying the clean up the win32-codecs and try to make the codecs,
> > it still errored out
> >
> > Has anyone faced the same issue,  Please share your thoughts.
> >
> > I am scratching my head, what I should doing about this.
>
> Waiting until the remote code execution security hole is plugged would
> seem to be a sensible thing:
>
> "The Apple Security Team reports that there are multiple
> vulnerabilities within QuickTime (one of the plugins for
> win32-codecs). A remote attacker capable of creating a malicious SGI
> image, FlashPix, FLC movie, or a QuickTime movie can possibly lead to
> execution of arbitrary code or cause a Denial of Service (application
> crash).
>
> Users who have QuickTime (/win32-codecs) as a browser plugin may be
> vulnerable to remote code execution by visiting a website containing a
> malicious SGI image, FlashPix, FLC movie or a QuickTime movie."

You can get mplayer installed safely by deselecting the quicktime codec
during the installation process.  To change it now, do the following:
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/win32-codecs && make config
Then deselect quicktime from the menu and save your change.  Then go
back to building mplayer and it should succeed.

-Bill