Best SPF Implementation

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 19:34:50 PST 2007

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Which of the ports provides the best SPF implementation for FreeBSD
> running sendmail?
> I messed around with SPF when it was still in it's infancy.  There seem
> to be more choices now.  I value ease of use if that is a useful
> discrimination.  I really need to add something to spamassasin to
> prevent receiving the spam in the first place.  I hate spending time on
> this but these guys are killing me.

SpamAssassin should already have SPF checking capability.  Check that you
have the p5-Mail-SPF-Query port installed.  Then check that there is a
line:

    loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF

in one of the files under /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/ -- probably
init.pre

Note: this will not absolutely accept/reject mail based on SPF records
alone.  It will use SPF data to contribute to its spam scoring.
Empirically it has been found that a matching SPF record is *not* a
good predictor that a message is ham, but a non matching SPF record
is a good predictor that a message is spam.  (Or, in other words,
some spammers are perfectly capable of setting up their own SPF
records in the DNS)

If you want to apply strict SPF checking, then the mail/sid-milter port
is a pretty good choice.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3