Fwd: what is operator group for?

Chris Whitehouse chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 15:51:39 PST 2007

Jeff Rollin wrote:
> [...]

Sorry for all the random appearances of this post, I posted once and it
didn't appear, so I posted again a couple of days later, then my posts
plus replies plus an offline reply and so recursively came at various times.

Summary of replies in case anyone else is looking:

perryh at pluto.rain.com
My understanding is that group "operator" is intended for those who
deal with devices, e.g. running backups and monitoring printers.

With the usual permission settings, you are also allowing them to read
disks directly (e.g. with dump(8)), and thus to read any file on the
system -- including the system's and other users' private key files.

One alternative is sudo.

gs_stoller at juno.com

 > My understanding is that group "operator" is intended for those who
 > deal with devices, e.g. running backups and monitoring printers.

The answer above is correct.  I found the operator "group" described
in "Essential System Administration" by AEleen Frisch which is
published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.

Thanks everybody for answers

Chris