Problem with built-in USB memory card reader

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Jan 3 10:36:36 PST 2007

Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda at gmx.net> writes:

> Everything works perfect if the system is started with a memory card
> inserted into the reader.
>
> The problem arises when the system is started without the memory card
> inserted.  Since the reader is built-in (permanently attached to the
> motherboard), it is detected by the system at startup and no umass
> device is created.  Inserting a memory card at some later time has no
> visible effect whatsoever.
>
> I'm using the 5.4 release.  Is there a solution for this?

USB handling would be better in a more recent release of FreeBSD, but
I think you should be getting the basic da(4) device, just not the
slices (which aren't there yet) if the medium isn't available at
boot.  Is that the case?  [I haven't done this in a while, and don't
have access to a card reader at the moment.]