Easier way to install on 3ware 9550 card?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Jan 3 08:49:39 PST 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

>> I have a new system with NO FLOPPY CONTROLLER and a 3ware 9550
>> card.  It's a 1u system -- sticking extra things into PCI slots
>> as a workaround is likely to be impossible.
>
> Any possibility of using a USB floppy drive?

Will the BSD installer recognize a USB floppy drive?

>> 3) Adding the kldload command to the emergency holographic shell
>> (I was able to do an NFS mount from within it, but had no way to
>> load the driver).
>
> Maybe put kldload on that NFS mount along with the module to be
> loaded, and run it from there?

I had considered that, but feared hitting version issues.  Obviously
sysinstall needs both "mount" and "kldload" functionality -- why aren't
they in the emergency shell (For that matter, why isn't "ls"?)

If this many years later we're still emulating floppies, there's a
problem, folks.

-Dan

--

"A mother can be an inspiration to her little son, change his thoughts,
his mind, his life, just with her gentle hum."

-No Doubt, "Different People", from "Tragic Kingdom"