named not starting on boot

Jeff Royle lists at qwirky.net
Tue Jan 2 11:59:20 PST 2007

Noah wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a freeBSD 5.5 server not starting named upon reboot.  any clues
> how I can troubleshoot this issue?
>
> # grep named /etc/rc.conf
> named_enable="YES"
> named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
> # /usr/local/sbin/named -version
> BIND 9.3.2-P2
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD ns2.ps.juniper.net 5.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE #0: Tue May
> 23 14:58:27 UTC 2006
> root at perseus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>

> thanks for your assistance in advance,
>
> Noah

A bit more information would be handy to determine what the root cause
is.     However, double check your logs for any errors.   If you have a
*.* entry in your syslog.conf you should see any errors in thier.

Also if you run named manually does it work?   Is the startup script
located in either /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d ?   If you run that
manually does it work?

If you do encounter a error, post it back to the list and someone should
be able to give you direction.

Cheers!

Jeff