termcaps: xdm vs. startx

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Tue Jan 2 07:32:02 PST 2007

Hi.

So if I run xdm on startup, when I log in, my up arrow gives '[[A' instead
of command history, backspace, other keys have similar effects.  If I log in
then do startx, everything works as expected.  It's really not an issue for
me, I'm just curious.  I tried changing the line in /etc/ttys from ..... on
xterm..... to .....on xterm-color.... with no apparent effects.  I presume
there is some difference in terms of login scripts with xdm vs. startx?

Steve