Backspace key "<-" not mapping to ^H

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Feb 28 23:39:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:33:54AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Jordan Gordeev wrote:
>
> no (I don't recall making changes in that area).
>
>>> See stty(1) and termios(4). You should modify the erase or erase2 values.
>
> reasonable (Ubuntu uses Debian packages iirc, which makes it use DEL,
> FreeBSD uses BS for erase, etc).
>
>> The terminal settings available from gnome (if you open up an xterm /
>> Gnome terminal shell using the Terminal command under the menu) has
>
> gnome-terminal isn't xterm (OP isn't making that distinction either).
>
> xterm has menu settings which can change the assignment of BS/DEL to the
> "backspace" key (unlike gnome-terminal, it has a manpage describing these
> details ;-).
>
> --
> Thomas E. Dickey
> http://invisible-island.net
> ftp://invisible-island.net

You can set the default terminal in gnome to be xterm instead of Gnome Terminal. Gnome then wraps xterm in a program they call "Terminal" which you can setup to your liking using the preferences accessible from the menu.

That's what I meant. Just relaying my experience because I had a similar problem recently with Suse.

-Garrett