Linux Compat

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Feb 28 16:13:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:14:37PM -0500, Chris Hill wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:49:07PM -0900, Peter A. Giessel wrote:
> >
> >>On 2007/02/27 12:24, Jerry seems to have typed:
> >>
> >>Did you try the handbook?
> >>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu-lbc-install.html
> >
> >Maybe I didn't ask my question well.  What I meant to ask is - is this
> >a change that I missed somewhere.  I used to get asked during the
> >installation process for a yes/no and I did not see it this time.
>
> You are very diplomatic.
>
> Last time I ran sysinstall - installing a new system about a month ago,
> in late January 2007 - it *did* ask me the Linux question. This was
> probably from the 6.1R CD set.

Yes, I think I remember seeing it during a 6.1 install, though the last
one of those I did was several months ago.

> >  I think that got some runtime libraries installed along with the
> >linux_enable="YES" plunked in the rc.conf for me.
>
> Did you run sysinstall after installing a working system, or was this a
> new install on bare hardware?

Well, sort of bare hardware.  I wiped out and overwrote a Suse installation
that came with the machine (a Dell 2950 with Perc I raid).

> >I am aware that I can do it myself later - say I had said no during
> >sysinstall or whatever.
>
> Not everyone bothers to read your entire message throughly. Been there.

Yah,  I miss parts of people's posts in the rush to respond often enough too.

////jerry