Backspace key "<-" not mapping to ^H

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Feb 28 03:55:45 UTC 2007

	I'm not sure whether this just in Ubuntu or in the Gnome desktop
	or what, but for days, when I type mail in vi in mutt, sometimes
	I get a "^?" when I hit the backspace.  ^H still works to back up
	and correct my typos, but that's lots more work that what my
	fingers are accustomed to.  It may be when I'm ssh'd across
	servers.  I thought I'd ask here before I dig into this.  I think
	a new xterm was recently updated in ports; not  sure if tat is a
	factor or not.

	xev understands that the b'space key is a backspace and tells me
	the keycode.  Should I just us xmodmaprc to fix this?  thanks
	for any clues!!

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix