Fail to start KDE and Gnome

Armin Pirkovitsch a.pirko at inode.at
Wed Feb 28 01:20:50 UTC 2007

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> FreeBSD-6.2-amd64
>
> This is a test, I insalled aprox >80% of the packages on Disc 2
> After installation completed PC rebooted to runlevel 3.  Login as user
> and run;
>
> $ startkde
> warning:
> Kpersonalizer : Cannot connect to Xserer
> - repeated-
>
> $ gnome-session
> (gnome-session 1968) gtk-Warning  ** cannot open displayed
>
> $ startx
> 3 xterm windows started.  On xterm I can start KDE with a lot of
> warning displayed on xterm windonw.  But I can't start Gnome on xterm.
>
> I can start "firefox" on xterm.  Now I'm posting on "firefox" browser.
>
> Please advise where I have to check fixing the problems.  TIA

There are two files that control which windowsmanager shall be used
(depending on whether you use a login manager or just startx)
One is called .xinitrc the other one .xsession - they are both in your
home directory - create them (you can create one of them and symlink the
other one) and add the start command to the file (full path) - and make
sure they are set executable (chmod 755 <filename>)
eg. for kde:
exec /usr/local/bin/startkde
eg for gnome:
exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session