kernel panic at boot on any 6.x OS

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Feb 27 07:41:34 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Auty" <joe at netmusician.org>
To: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
Cc: "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch at vitsch.net>; "Kip Macy"
<kip.macy at gmail.com>; <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>;
<freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: kernel panic at boot on any 6.x OS

> On Feb 26, 2007, at 8:01 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

We used to but the problem was that the manufacturers change hardware
designs much faster than we replace systems.  So you end up with every
server is running on different hardware.  It may all be from the same
manufacturer,
even have the same brand name and line name on it, but the guts are
different.

I've basically cut back to a single clone system that I use to create
custom-configured
install ISOs from and that is synced to the source tree when I need for it
to be.
But for everything else, we try whatever possible to avoid doing updates on
them
other than security until they have reached their end of service life.  When
I'm
building the replacement server for one we are retiring, that is when I do
all
my testing of updated applications.

Ted