kernel panic at boot on any 6.x OS

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at vitsch.net
Sun Feb 25 10:46:31 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007 08:59, Kip Macy wrote:
> It looks as if you've hit a device driver that is trying to print out
> a null string. The message you've given doesn't provide any more
> information than that. If you install a snapshot kernel it will
> probably have ddb compiled in which will allow you to at least get a
> backtrace. I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Grepping the source tree on 6.2-RELEASE shows this message can only have com
from one place : sys/kern/kern_conf.c in the function prep_cdevsw() :

if (devsw->d_version != D_VERSION_01) {
    printf(
                    "WARNING: Device driver \"%s\" has wrong version %s\n",
                    devsw->d_name == NULL ? "???" : devsw->d_name,
                    "and is disabled.  Recompile KLD module.");

Looks like the kernel and the modules are out of sync.

> On 2/24/07, Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > (sorry, don't know whether kernel problems should go to questions or
> > hackers, or both)..
> >
> > This has been a long-standing problem of mine, but I always ignored
> > it hoping it would go away on its own with a future 6.x release, but
> > it remains...
> >
> > No matter whether I boot into safe mode or regular mode, with all
> > kernel extensions disabled in /boot/loader.conf, I get the following
> > panic late at boot of a fresh RELENG_6_2 kernel (with only a few
> > services left to bring up). The 6.x kernels I've tried all build and
> > installed cleanly without any errors...
> >
> > > WARNING: Device driver "
> > >
> > > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > > fault virtual address = 0x400000
> > > fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> > > instruction pointer = 0x20:0xc06d4614
> > > stack pointer = 0x28:0xf015491c
> > > frame pointer = 0x28:0xf015491c
> > > code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xffffff, type 0x1b
> > >            = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> > > processor eflags = interupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> > > current process = 898 (kldload)
> > > trap number = 12
> > > panic: page fault
> > > uptime: 36s
> > > cannot dump. No dump device defined
> > > automatic reboot in 15 seconds
> >
> > This problem does not occur within any 5.x OS for me. I would
> > certainly like to resolve this issue now, but this sort of debugging
> > is over my head beyond running fsck (which I've tried). Any ideas here?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!

Daan