Forcing correct version of Clamav to be installed

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Feb 24 15:11:58 UTC 2007

I recently contacted the maintainer of 'claws-mail' -- Alexander
Leidinger <netchild at FreeBSD.org> -- regarding a problem with that port.
It wants to install 'clamav' even though I have 'clamav-devel'
installed. Since these ports conflict, the install fails.

After talking to Alexander, he informs me that it is a generic problem
with the ports system and that it should be fixed there. I haven't got
the knowledge of how to accomplish this however. Instead, I modified
the claws-mail Makefile to have it install clamav-devel rather than
clamav. The problem is that portsnap will over write that change if and
when it updates the port requiring me to manually re-edit the Makefile.

My question is how would I proceed to force any port that wants to
install clamav to rather install clamav-devel? I have this problem with
other ports and having to manually edit each Makefile is an annoyance,
especially if I forget to make the changes.

--
Gerard