PotsgreSQL question (differences for 7.4 ,8.1 and 8.2)

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnisec.de
Fri Feb 23 16:48:19 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm new to PostgreSQL and see that there are 3 versions in the Ports and
bsd.mk.ports defaults to 7.4 to resolve pgsql dependencies.
I yahood/msnd/googled a lot but couldn't find a comprehensive comparison
regarding features/performance. There are severaly MySQL comparisions but
that aren't of interest any more since that's what I've been using before.

So please can one explain me in short words what the main featrue difference
is between 7.4, 8.1, 8.2? (I found out that 7.4 and 8.2 are incompatible
regarding php5-pgsql conjunction)
And what are the main performace differences (for a very small site) between
7.4, 8.1 and 8.2?
If it's not obvious (with the above answered), why are there 3 stable
branches?

Thanks a lot in advance,

-Harry

--
OmniSEC  -  UNIX und Windows Netzwerke - Sicher
Harald Schmalzbauer