Determining daylight savings changes on BSD

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Thu Feb 22 16:48:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

I just read through this entire thread and I have a couple of questions. I have several FreeBSD 5.4 systems. I did the date -r commands as suggested on one of these systems and it doesn't appear to switch over to daylight savings time on Sunday March 11 at 2 AM.

I looked in /usr/ports/misc but there isn't a zoneinfo port (on this system). I searched a bit and found this:

radius# find / -name zoneinfo -print
/usr/share/zoneinfo
/usr/compat/linux/usr/share/zoneinfo
radius# find / -name tzsetup -print
/usr/sbin/tzsetup

Here's my question. tzsetup seems to already be on this system. I have not used it before, so am unfamiliar with it. Can I just run that now and make whatever changes are necessary to fix this system so that it recognises daylight savings changes? Or am I going to have to download some updated zone files first?  In this thread, someone suggested doing the following:

cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
fetch ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2007a.tar.gz
tar -zxvf tzdata2007a.tar.gz
make
make install

cp -f /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles
/etc/localtime
chmod 444 /etc/localtime

I have attempted that, but when I unzip/untar tzdata2007b.tar.gz (there isn't an "a" file there anymore, just the "b" one), I get several files but there is no target for the make command.

Are there any special considerations any of you might be aware of depending on what function my freebsd servers are serving? One does radius authentication using Free Radius, another is our web server (Apache2) and primary DNS (Bind 9), a third is a mail server (Sendmail).

I'm sorry - I'm just kinda confused as to how I ought to handle this issue.

Thanks,

Lisa Casey