64-bits platform question

Coleman Kane zombyfork at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 04:12:07 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Aard Nerd <aard.nerd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list, as far as I know Intel 64 architecture (formerly known as Intel
> Extended Memory 64 Technology, or Intel EM64T) enables 64-bit computing on
> desktop when combined with supporting software. If I am right, 64-bit
> computing (on Intel architecture) requires a computer system with a
> processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and
> applications
> enabled for Intel EM64T architecture. So I bought an ASUS P4P800-VM with a
> 3.0GHz processor that supports Intel EM64T and 1Gb of Infineon PC3200 RAM
> memory. The system is ok...so why I can't install BSD 64 bits with my
> system
> ???
>
> Any clues, thanks in advance.
>

> Cheers / Me.

It would be helpful to know exactly what hurdles you are encountering
attempting to install the OS. Did you download the AMD64 port of FreeBSD
(AMD is the developer of the architecture that Intel calls "EM64T", so the
name "amd64" also refers to "em64t" platforms). If you are attempting to
install the IA64 port of FreeBSD then you are using the wrong architecture.
IA64 is for Itanium only (and is completely different from EM64T and AMD64
and i386).

--
Coleman Kane