login.conf not honored for rc scripts?

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 03:17:55 UTC 2007

I've been having a problem with mysql and apache starting up properly,
and finally I think I found the issue.

I have a "gallery" class defined in /etc/login.conf with the limits I
want, but the rc scripts are using the default class values instead. I
put:

limits > /tmp/limits

In the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server rc script, and I see the following:

Resource limits (current):
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kB
  datasize            24576 kB
  stacksize           24576 kB
  coredumpsize            0 kB
  memoryuse           24576 kB
  memorylocked        24576 kB
  maxprocesses           25
  openfiles             200
  sbsize           infinity bytes
  vmemoryuse          24576 kB

Here is the gallery login class definition from login.conf:

gallery:\
    :datasize=400M:\
    :stacksize=400M:\
    :memorylocked=400M:\
    :vmemoryuse=400M:\

And here is the mysql entry in master.passwd:

mysql:*:88:88:gallery:0:0:MySQL Daemon:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

I'm hoping someone can point out what I'm missing here. Before anyone
asks, yes I did run pwd_mkdb and cap_mkdb :)

Thanks!
Josh