ssh to VMS - terminal problems

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Tue Feb 20 19:43:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 07:05:37PM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:45:17AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 03:51:57PM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> >
> > > If I run ssh from a terminal emulator in xorg, all seems fine.
> >
> > yes - VMS only knows about DEC-compatible terminals.  None of the *BSD
> > console emulators do well enough to be usable on VMS.
> >
> > xterm supports ANSI color, VT220 emulation and UTF-8
> > There's an faq at
> > 	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
> > 	ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/
>
> thanks a lot.
>
> So, what was pcvt driver designed for? I understood from the man
> pages that it is supposed to be compartible with DEC function keys?

Most of these drivers are just good enough to run vi (so they can use
a termcap written to accommodate a DEC terminal).

VMS wants more than just function keys - the terminal has to respond
to control sequences that ask what it is, for instance.  I see from
the show-terminal that it either guessed that it was a VT100, or that
it was told that it was.

If you capture the output from the host with 'script', you can see what's
sent to the terminal. Seeing the replies is harder, but that might provide
some clues.

Running vttest would show some of the issues (for a 25-line console
screen, that would be something like "vttest 25x80.80" to make it workable).

That reminds me -
Of course VMS thinks you have 24 lines (which makes all of the scrolling
not work properly).  You can modify that setting (the "page" in the "show
term").  There are other likely problems...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net