Best partitioning scheme for my HDD? Please advise.

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Feb 20 19:38:27 UTC 2007

Joe Vender <jvender at owensboro.net> writes:

> I've played around with the sizes, reducing /var to around 350Mb, / to around
> 256Mb, and /tmp to around 256Mb leaving the space gained to /usr. In this
> way, I got FreeBSD installed OK, but I'm considering installing it for a
> final time and using it exclusively for my desktop after testing various
> linuxes and FreeBSD and comparing them. So, I would like to get the sizes of
> FreeBSD's slices optimized. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the user
> community with a similar usage/size situation who can advise me.

In a system that tight for space (for running KDE, anyway), I would
just put all the space (aside from some swap) into a single root
partition.  The risks of something running away and filling a
partition are much less of an issue than the risks of filling up a
partition with legitimate data and needing to play games to keep
everything installed.

Greg Lehey has been recommending this approach in his books for at
least a couple of editions now.
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/