How Do I Surf To My Server?

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 13:32:59 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz>
To: Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 6:26:07 PM
Subject: Re: How Do I Surf To My Server?

>Use "netstat -anf inet" on the server and see if port 80 or 8080 is
>"LISTENING", and on what address.

This reports tcp4 listening on 192.168.1.130.80. Nothing on 8080, which would indicate a problem with my configuration of Zope.

>If the server is LISTENING on the
>FBSD box on the correct ports, but nmap doesn't show it, then I would
>assume a firewall problem, but I'm not "on the ground" there.

Okay, can you give me some suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this?

>If you do
>see a LISTENING entry, use that interface (assuming it's Ethernet and
>one that it accessible from your laptop) as the entry in the laptop's
>hosts file.

Did that, but I get a "Service is not available." message in the browser (FF).

>192.168.1.255 is a broadcast address and should not be used for the
>configuration of a webserver (is that what "pound daemon" is?  Think so,
>can't remember previous mail at this point).

Pound is a reverse proxy. It just redirects traffic from one port to another. The actual server is built into Zope.
TIA,
Drew