How Do I Surf To My Server?

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 19:11:11 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org>
To: Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 12:49:22 PM
Subject: Re: How Do I Surf To My Server?

On Feb 19, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Drew Jenkins wrote:

>Can you tell us more about your home set-up?  Presumably you have
>some sort of router doing NAT and DHCP?  Tell us about it.

I had, but perhaps in a different thread, so forgive me for not putting it here before. I have DHCP, a satellite dish to which both computers are linked.

>If you don't know IP address of your internal server, than chances
>are that it was assigned via DHCP by your router.  For what you want
>to do, you should probably reconfigure the server with a specific
>internal IP address instead of having it assigned.

I do have the IP address, and no doubt it was assigned. I found it using ifconfig. Is that the correct way to do it?

>Assuming that I've guessed correctly about your set-up:
>First find out from your router what the the range of the "DHCP pool"
>is.  Look at the DHCP configuration on your router.  Then pick an
>address that is NOT in that range but still part of your local
>network.  Then use sysinstall on your FreeBSD box to give it that IP
>address.

If ifconfig isn't the way to do that, could you specify how? sysinstall is a GUI, so it'll just ask me a question, or I'll have to look on a chart to find what I need, right? Easy, right?
TIA,
Drew