Update and install new packages immediate after installation

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Feb 19 16:21:37 UTC 2007

satimis <satimis at yahoo.com> writes:

> Please advise after installation completed how to read on CVS on the website
> to fetch fresh ports and src tree that I need installing further packages
> and updating the system.  Also how to read about its package management and
> how to startup.  I expect first to update the system before doing any
> further installations and/or customizations. Pointers would be appreciated.

There are sections on these topics in the FreeBSD Handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Specifically, installing new ports has its own section
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
and for getting updates (generally through cvsup rather than directly
accessing cvs remotely), see the section on the "cutting edge":
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html