Asking for help on first installation

Manfred Frey mwf1 at gmx.de
Mon Feb 19 14:14:58 UTC 2007

Hi FreeBSD folks,

I'm a UNIX user for some time but now I'm trying to install my first FreeBSD system
over the internet. I got along with the HW and pre-installation issues easily, the disk space
is allocated, I know what to install. But I can't connect for download. I'd like to ask for
your help.

On this handbook page
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-media.html

I arrive at figure  Figure 2-27. Set Network Configuration for ed0.  See page
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-post.html

I don't know what to put in "host", "domain", "IPv4 gateway" and "domain server".

My ISP is German Telekom.
I'm using a CompuShack gateway/4-port switch
Connecting to my 3-COMs RJ45 jack

My computer is 192.168.0.4
The local gateway is 192.168.0.1
The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
The gateway's internet address changes as it is assigned when connecting.

Who's host name has to be used ?
I'm logging into Telekom as xxxxxxxxxxx at t-online.de .  Is "t-online.de" the required domain ?
The installation probes IP numbers like 217.237.151.142 for the name server. Is that what's needed ?

I would very much appreciate your help. I also won't need more help  :-)
Regards,
Manfred