Foo***-lite ?

Nick Withers nick at nickwithers.com
Mon Feb 19 00:58:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:57:30 -0800
Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:

> 	People,
>
> 	I hope there are some kde or gnome wizards around to give
> me a few clues about tuning my gnome|kde- lite window managers.  So
> far I have the regular gnome2 and KDE3 desktops going on my test box
> 	quite well.  kde at least gives users the opportunity to
> set the level of eye-candy from low to high.  I have not seen
> anything equivalent for gnome.

As far as I know, GNOME doesn't really have "eye candy" the same way
KDE does (there are no fading menus, bouncy transparent cursors,
etc.).

> How do I test gnome2-lite and kde-lite? I've found startkde, but
> no startkdelite.  I've found the gnome-session binary, but no
> gnomelite-session.
>
> 	If I need kde|gnome2- lite.desktop files, please clue me in.
> 	Otherwise,  how do I instiantiate these lite flavor
> desktops?

I think you've misunderstood what the -lite versions are. From
ports/x11/gnome2-lite/pkg-descr:
____

This metaport installs the pieces of the GNOME 2 desktop that
are needed to provide a functional desktop.  x11/gnome2
contains the full version of the GNOME 2 desktop environment.
____

In other words, it's the same GNOME, but installing the gnome2-lite
port doesn't install "extras", like games. GNOME is invoked the same
way regardless of which port is used.

I believe that the kde-lite port is the same.

--
Nick Withers
email: nick at nickwithers.com
Web: http://www.nickwithers.com