Diskless PXEboot crashes at kernel loading.

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 06:07:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

I already described in detail what I've been doing
with the FreeBSD server and the Compaq HP client PC
here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-February/142116.html

The Bootp exchange seems to be fine and the client
gets the kernel from the server. However, during
the kernel loading, the client PC "implodes" and
starts from BIOS boot up again. The boot messages
are given below.

The crash messages scroll too fast over the screen
to see the details with the bare eye. I recorded it
with a digital camera and a snapshot of it is here:

  http://www.lahaye.dds.nl/pxeboot/crash.jpg

The whole boot process in plain text goes as
follows:

Attempting Boot From Intel(R) Boot Agent Version
3.0.05 (PnP Device)

Initializing Intel(R) Boot Agent Version 3.0.05
PXE 2.0 Build 078 (WfM 2.0), RPL V2.73

Intel(R) Boot Agent Version 3.0.05
Copyright (C) 1997-2000, Intel Corporation

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 02 A5 93 F7 44  GUID:
67862AE2-117C-D511-BFE9-F3C48B4FB125
DHCP./

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1

PXE version 2.1, real mode entry point 09db8:8186
BIOS a573kB/268896kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
pxe_open: server addr: 192.168.123.1
pxe_open: server path: /
pxe_open: gateway ip: 192.168.123.254

    Welcome to FreeBSD!

 [ Boot option menu 1 to 7 ] FreeBSD-ascii-cartoon

/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x4d568c /
int=...... err=.... ef11=.... eip=....

And the crash happens.
Note that the crash occurs for whatever option
1 to 6 I choose from the FreeBSD boot menu.

Does someone understand the crash messages?

Thanks,
Rob.