lpr on KDE

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Feb 16 02:46:50 UTC 2007

At 7:32 PM -0500 2/15/07, Gary Schenk wrote:
>When trying to print from KDE applications, I get the following error:
>"/usr/local/bin/lpr: Connection refused" This is on a new install of
>6.2-RELEASE. KDE was installed from a package during install. Printing
>works fine from the commandline as root and user.
>
>Googling around, one suggested fix was to recompile /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs3
>with WITHOUT_CUPS. I ran "make -DWITHOUT_CUPS install" and that went quite
>well. I rebooted the machine just to make sure everything restarted. Still
>no joy trying to print with KDE.

Did you also *remove* the version of CUPS which got installed?  If
not, you probably still have /usr/local/bin/lpr as the CUPS-based
version of lpr.

>Any suggestions as to the next step? Would making some sort of link
>between /usr/local.bin.lpr and /usr/bin/lpr work?

My guess is that you're getting the CUPS-version of `lpr', but you're
still running the standard daemon for FreeBSD's `lpr'.  The simple
test would be to:
    mv /usr/local/bin/lpr /usr/local/bin/lpr-cups

and then try printing from kde.  If that solves your problem, then
move that binary back to /usr/local/bin/lpr, find out which of the
CUPS-related ports you have installed, and pkg_deinstall them.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu