pf/ppp timing problem at startup

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Feb 14 02:59:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 03:14:50 +0100
cpghost <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:

> I'm using ADSL to connect (using a static IP), and ppp(1)
> needs some time (a few seconds) to initialize and configure
> the tun(4) device. Parallel to this, pf(4) starts immediately,
> and doesn't recognize ext_if (tun0), which is not yet ready.
> As a result of this, pf shuts down again and there's no firewall.

> Perhaps there's also some pf setting that would dynamically adjust
> to tun0 once it appears?

I don't know the answer, but I suspect that you are asking the wrong
question. Your setup is a very common one, so it seems a bit unlikely
any special bodging is required (and that no-one is complaining about
it). The ppp startup script is supposed to resync pf after starting
ppp.

I'm wondering if there is anything unusual in you ppp.conf or  rc.conf
entries.