Newbie--new install on Core 2 Duo?

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 18:42:39 UTC 2007

On 2/13/07, Brian <bri at sonicboom.org> wrote:
> This question come sup so often, I believe FreeBSD should do this by
> default, install the proper kernel unless something different is
> selected by the user.

how would you define "correct"?  have all systems boot with a SMP
kernel by default so that machines with multiple processors
automatically detect all available CPU's?  then what about all the
users that are using uni-proc systems?

i think the current state of building a system w/o SMP enabled is
great.  it's not that hard to do a:

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=SMP
make installkernel KERNCONF=SMP
reboot

this is all covered in the FreeBSD handbook, which all new
admin's/users should be reading and following closely anyway ;)

-pete

> > they will detect your cpus and will
> > install the right kernel to use both cpus
>
> Brian

~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright
www.nycbug.org