[SOLVED] Help please: how to enable SSH password authentication under FreeBSD 6.2? Solved - but not in an expected way

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Tue Feb 13 15:39:37 UTC 2007

Hi Bill,

> I'm not seeing this.  I tried this with PuTTY 0.58 on a fresh FreeBSD 6.2p1
> system and had no problems.  So I grabbed the latest PuTTY 0.59, and that
> worked fine as well.

[...]

> I haven't been following this thread, so I don't have any ideas on what
> your problem might be, but it's certainly not FreeBSD or puTTY's fault
> or I'd be seeing the same problem.

The issue is that PuTTY does not fall back from its SSH2 attempt to SSH1
(with password authentication), as is what I specified in my
/etc/ssh/sshd_config

Is this what you tried too, or did you use SSH2 (i.e. key
authentication, instead of password authentication)?

In my case, SSHD is running in debug mode and the debug log clearly
indicates that PuTTY only tries SSH2 and does not fall back to SSH1,
whereas on my live box (FreeBSD 5.4 release AMD64, custom kernel), PuTTY
does fall back to SSH1.

The 'lines' to the new server are about as short as they can be, as I'm
currently setting the machine up over our local network, so the only
thing in between the client and server is our router, which does not
mess with the SSH traffic...

In short: I see no reason why the PuTTY / FreeBSD 6.2 SSH combination
would _not_ be at fault (especially as other SSH clients do work fine on
this box, and as PuTTY also works when connecting to other boxes). :P
Contrary to what I was thinking yesterday, I don't think my
configuration is at fault...

In case in such a situation the password authentication does work fine
for you, I'd be curious to find out the reason why it doesn't work for
me (perhaps you could then also post me your sshd_config settings).

As mentioned, there is an easy work around by using a different SSH
client, but PuTTY is handy for quick d/l-ing when abroad, and not having
administrator's rights to the machine you're on at that time.

Cheers!
Olafo